Plano Bicycle Accident Attorney
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 846 bicyclists died in traffic crashes in a recent year. A lot of Texans depend on their bikes as their main mode of transportation. However, bikes can’t protect riders as other motor vehicles can, and bicycle accidents typically result in severe injuries or death. If you’ve been in a bicycle accident and have been injured due to a negligent motorist, pedestrian, or another bicyclist, you may have a claim to pursue damages.
Bicyclists have certain legal rights when traveling on public roadways, and our Plano bicycle accident attorney here at The Law Office of Joel M. Vecchio, P.C., can aid in defending those legal rights.
Why Bicycle Accidents Happen
Bicycle accidents result from various factors, which can include poor weather conditions, defective bike parts, potholes, etc. But the majority of bike accidents occur due to some kind of negligent act, such as the following, either by another driver or bicyclist:
- Distracted driving
- Pulling out of the intersection in front of a bicycle or vehicle
- Ignoring the stop sign or running the red light
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Passing on the right
- Not yielding at an intersection
- Driving (drivers) or not driving (bicyclists) in a bike lane
- Riding in the blind spot of another vehicle and not checking for potential blind spots when switching lanes
What to Do After Your Bicycle Accident
- Get emergency help for your injuries. This should be your first priority before anything else. Take note that some injuries could show up several days or weeks following the accident, so go to a doctor even if you’re feeling fine or have negligible injuries.
- Call the police.
- Collect relevant evidence. If safe and if you are able, take videos and photos of the accident site from various angles. Gather the names and contact details of everyone involved in the accident, including witnesses, if any.
- Gather and keep all documentation safe. Make sure to have copies of the police report, the photographic evidence you gathered, witness statements, and medical bills.
- Seek legal counsel. Our Plano bicycle attorney will help figure out who was liable for the accident, how much your claim might be worth, and deal with the at-fault party’s insurance provider. It’s crucial to keep in mind that the insurance company will try to get you to settle for a low and fast settlement, so don’t be swayed into thinking that you’re getting a fair deal. Let us deal with the insurer and focus on getting back on your feet.
Get Legal Counsel from an Experienced Plano Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have gone through a bicycle accident that left you seriously injured, call The Law Office of Joel M. Vecchio, P.C., at 972-380-4444 or get in touch with us online. During your free claim evaluation, our experienced Plano bicycle accident attorney can help you decide your next steps to ensure that you obtain the compensation you deserve for your losses. We’ll work with you on a no-win, no-pay basis, so you’ll only have to pay us when we win your case.