Steps to Take If I am Hit By An Out of State Driver in Texas?
Car accidents can be very traumatic and terrifying, making it difficult to know what you should do in the aftermath of the crash. If the crash resulted in significant injuries and damages, you may miss days to months of work and accumulate costly medical bills. Fortunately, you are entitled to pursue compensation from the at-fault out-of-state driver for your accident-associated expenses.
Whether you were hit by a Texas driver or an out-of-state driver, the steps you take immediately after the crash will be immensely crucial to your case. Here are essential things to do following a crash with an out-of-state driver:
- Notify the police. The police report will be vital to your claim. To ensure that it supports your case, tell the police the facts of the crash and provide accurate and complete information.
- Check yourself to see if you have been injured and whether you require emergency medical attention. If you do, call 911. Head to the hospital after talking to the police even if you don’t seem injured.
- Exchange information with the out-of-state driver, including contact details, driver’s license number, and insurance details.
- Collect evidence, such as photos and videos of the scene, your injuries, and statements from witnesses.
- Do not talk to the other driver’s insurance provider before you’ve spoken to your attorney.
- Call a Plano, TX, car accident attorney.
Why Consulting a Plano, TX, Car Accident Attorney is Crucial
Car accident cases are usually straightforward when both drivers live in the same state. But there are certain considerations when one of the drivers is from out of state. For instance, you must figure out which statute of limitations or filing deadline will apply to your case to ensure that you don’t lose your right to compensation due to a missed deadline.
After a car crash, recovering from your injuries is your top priority. But when you’re well enough, you should discuss your case with an attorney. Apart from the emotional and physical burden of the crash, you may also experience financial challenges due to mounting medical costs, vehicle repair expenses, and lost income. A Plano, TX, car accident attorney will resolve your claim by:
- Launching an investigation into the crash, collecting witness statements, and evaluating medical records and police reports.
- Proving fault for the crash.
- Demonstrating the specific circumstances of the crash and how it occurred.
- Building your claim based on the evidence gathered.
- Developing a solid strategy to pursue fair compensation for your damages.
- Communicating and negotiating with insurance providers, their defense attorneys, insurance claims adjusters, and other relevant parties.
- Representing you in court and fighting your rights if negotiations with the other party break down.
- Keeping you in the loop throughout the entire legal process and addressing any questions and concerns you may have
Consult with a Seasoned Plano, TX, Car Accident Attorney Now
If you live in Texas and got hit by a negligent out-of-state driver, our Plano, TX, car accident attorney is ready to help you win your case. Get started on your case by reaching out to The Law Office of Joel Vecchio, P.C., to arrange your free case review. Contact us online or call 972-380-4444 for more details.